X4 upgrade problem

Andrew Shinn shinn at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 8 17:05:34 PST 2001

On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 01:44:49PM -0800, R. David Whitlock wrote:

> I know it never helps to hear this after the fact, but remember to back up

> config files like XF86Config before you do updates/upgrades.

Yeah... :(

> I often just

> tar my whole dang /etc directory, since this is where almost all conf

> files _should_ live, and its often quite small to begin with.

But still, the new setup has BOTH the old /etc/X11/XF86Config file AND
it generates a new one called /etc/X11/XF86Config-4. Somewhere I read
that both X3* and X4 can exist on the same system, so if I could
figure out how to call up the older one, the config file is still there...

> I recently did this update (2 weeks ago) on another person's machine, and

> we didn't get any errors like that, so I don't think its a system-wide

> problem.

Really? My brother said that he had a problem on someone else's
machine when they did this upgrade, but he doesn't remember how it was
resolved (tough luck for me...)

> Also, check and see if you are still running the same XServer that

> you think you are (check the link in /usr/bin/X11/something to see where

> it points, svga or whatnot).

I want to be running XFree86 as my default server, right?

> You can also have dselect choose a new

> XServer for you, have you tried de-incrementing to a previous version of

> X?

How would I go about these two options?

> Hope something here helps...

It does give me more things to work on. Thanks for the help!!!

--Drew