video4linux

Mike mike at boobaz.net
Fri Feb 9 10:11:49 PST 2001

I have some *expletive deleted* questions about changes in the video4linux
driver (or something) between kernel 2.4.0-test11 and 2.4.1. I bought a
cheapo USB IBM cam ($20 at best buy) since there's a module which
purportedly supports this cam (ibmcam.o) (verified by FCC identifier
listed in kernel docs). I've got video4linux set up as a module
(videodev.o). When I try to use the cam with 'xawtv' in 2.4.0-test11, the
application starts (but the cam doesn't work; a problem to be worked out
later). When I run 'xawtv' in 2.4.1 I get an error stating that
/dev/video doesn't exist. But it does! It's a symlink to /dev/video0
which has the correct major/minor numbers. I assume that this is a
problem with v4l, but I don't know how to approach the problem. I'm new
to working with video/framegrabbers and USB in linux, so I don't know what
questions to be asking...