modules and 2.4.1

C. Mills boson at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 9 22:12:28 PST 2001

I just install 2.4.1 on a debian machine. After compiling the modules and
installing I could not get them to load. I played around with
depmod, modprobe, insmod, lsmod, trying to get my sound and network
modules loaded.
I couldn't get depmod to create anything more than an empty modules.dep
file, so the rest of the commands wouldn't work.
looking around in the /lib/modules/2.4.1 directory I noticed the modules I
needed were burried in a bunch of directories namely:
/lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/drivers/net/
/lib/modules/2.4.1/kernel/drivers/sound/
so I copied the the net and sound directories into /lib/modules/2.4.1 so
it looked like this
/lib/modules/2.4.1/net/
/lib/modules/2.4.1/sound/
and everything works fine..