modules and 2.4.1

michael scott frank msfrank at u.washington.edu
Fri Feb 9 22:39:41 PST 2001

You're running an older version of modutils. Technically, the version of
your modutils package should be the latest version for your kernel
version, in this case 2.4.1. While its true that moving the module tree
around to the old location will pretty much work, officially, there is
the possibility that the older modutils may not be able to take advantage
of newer module features. The fact that the modules are in a different
place than they were, effectively breaking older modutils version, leads
me to believe that it is a good idea to upgrade.

I have no idea why the kernel dev team decided to move the module tree
around tho, maybe someone on the list who follows the kernel dev lists
could enlighten us?

BTW, When you do a major kernel upgrade, you should check the needed
versions of important kernel-related programs (a full list is in
<srcs>/Documentation/Changes).

Michael

Michael Frank /v\
msfrank at u.washington.edu // \\