Apache CGI troubles.

Russ Garwood rgarwood at nwlink.com
Sun Feb 18 21:58:51 PST 2001

Good evening all,

Sorry for the repost to anyone who already read this - I just realized
that, for some reason, my system clock reset itself, causing the my
original post to be sent on Saturday Jan 2nd, 1988, so people like me who
sort their email by date would never see the original post at all.

Has anybody else had troubles running CGI scripts with Apache? I'm using
Red Hat 6.2, with the Apache 1.3.12 that comes with, and every time I run a
cgi script, I get error 500. My test script is as follows:

#! usr/bin/perl

print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";

print "Hello, world";

A glimpse at the error log informs:

[Sun Feb 18 21:06:12 2001] [error] (2)No such file or directory: exec of
/chinook/live/cgi-bin/test.cgi failed
[Sun Feb 18 21:06:12 2001] [error] [client 10.0.0.4] Premature end of
script headers: /chinook/live/cgi-bin/test.cgi

Where "/chinook/live" is the DocumentRoot for Apache.

The script runs just fine from the console. I've looked at file
permissions, my script is in the correct dir, and cgi execution is enabled,
both in the httpd.conf and .htaccess. I've gone over everything I thought
was relevant in The Idiot's Guide To Solving Perl CGI Problems at CPAN, and
other CGI tutorials available at apache.org. Anybody else have this problem?

- Russell Garwood