user login by physical console only?

Mike mike at boobaz.net
Thu Feb 22 21:09:15 PST 2001

I'm looking at RedHat 7 which has this file as /etc/security/access.conf.
I imagine you could put some rules in there to only allow certain users to
login from the console....but it didn't work for me when I just tried.

I created a group called "locals" and added to that group those
accounts (mike) I only wanted to login locally. Then put the following in
/etc/security/access.conf:

+ : ALL EXCEPT locals : ALL
- : locals : ALL EXCEPT localhost

When that failed to produce proper results I tried:

- : mike : ALL
+ : ALL EXCEPT locals : ALL
- : locals : ALL EXCEPT localhost

and then I rebooted, just for good measure. It would still let the
"mike" account log in from the network. Uggh. So in short I don't know
how this pam stuff works nor how it could help you. How's that for not
helping?

---------------------------
-=<(| mike at boobaz.net |)>=-

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 at 18:59, michael scott frank wrote:

|I believe this will work if you're not using X (since processes forked

|from X are allocated ptys). Edit /etc/login.access and to look more or

|less like this (you might have to adjust depending on the number of ttys

|you allocate at boot time):

|+:ALL:tty0 tty1 tty2 tty3 tty4 tty5

|-:ALL:ALL