looking for a top-notch sys admin

Aaron aaron at darklands.org
Fri Feb 23 10:23:20 PST 2001

Re: ethics, my personal opinion (UW/state regulations aside) is that I
don't have a problem with it. However, from
http://www.washington.edu/computing/rules/email.html

In no instance may email or computers be used for personal
business-related, commercial, campaign or political purposes, or to
promote an outside business or group. Additionally, employees are
prohibited from allowing any member of the public to make personal
use of state computers and computing resources.

Interpret as you will.

Re: shortage of sysadmins and raiding of talent, this almost has a
security through obscurity ring to it: "If we don't let potential
system administrators hear about other jobs, maybe they'll stay here."
I agree that we need many more system administrators (ref. recent
discussion on netsys/lanadmin for a list of problems and potential
solutions [policy/budget/mindset changes]). If shielding students
from outside job postings was our only hope, I think there would be
larger problems more deserving of attention.

Aaron