Install PHP on UW server

B. Koeller bkoeller at u.washington.edu
Sun Jul 15 11:22:43 PDT 2001

Heya,

Is the tutorial you refer to located at:

https://staff.washington.edu/brankoel/installing-php-on-your-ua-account.php

? It was written by Greg Stark, and used to be hosted on his UW web before
he left for other parts. A few questions:

1. Are you trying to compile on ovid/vergil or homer/dante? I believe the
compile will only work on the web boxes (ovid/vergil).

2. Are you only getting the errors with 'make install'? This should
complain about permissions because it tries to put the php binary in
places you presumably don't have permission to write to.

3. Are you trying to compile the binary from your public_html directory?
This probably won't work because the public_html directories are simlinked
to a completely different file system. The compile will probably get very
confused about where the libraries are.

4. Would you like a pre-compiled copy of the almost latest binary with gd
and mysql support and a copy of the .htaccess and .ini file I use?

Hope this helps. Php kicks much bootie. :)

Brandon Koeller
http://koellers.org
brandon at koellers.org