xfs dead but subsys locked

Mike mike at boobaz.net
Mon Jul 16 13:16:48 PDT 2001

It sounds like you've been hacked! Send me a copy of your "xfs" binary
and I'll take a look at it. The message "eth0: Promiscuous mode enabled"
indicates that a network sniffer or something is starting up... It's
likely that someone broke in and replaced this binary with a network
sniffer that gets started at boot. This is precisely why you shouldn't
still be running (unpatched) RedHat 6.2!!

---------------------------
-=<(| mike at boobaz.net |)>=-

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001 at 11:54, Thomas Anderl wrote:

|Hi All,

|I'm running RH6.2 and up until this morning, it's been running just fine.

|I have it start into X automatically, so I usually turn the machine on,

|and come back after a couple of minutes to the X login screen. This time,

|however, when I came back, it gave me a console login.

|running startx gives:

|<errors>

|(many SVGA messages that I'm pretty sure are just info)

|_FontTransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect: errno = 111

|failed to set default font path 'unix/:-1;

|Fatal server error:

|could not open default font 'fixed'

|When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send the full

|server output, not just the last messages

|X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

|</errors>

|So I look this up, and it looks like the problem is probably with xfs. I

|run:

|"/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs status"

|and it tells me:

|"xfs dead but subsys locked"