A different samba question.

'Robin' R. Battey zanfur at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 23 23:46:07 PDT 2001

In addition, you can't mount anything, smb or not, unlessthe mount program
is running as root. That means you either have to be root, or the mount
program (smbmount or mount) has to be installed suid root. It is not
installed suid mount, and you're not root, so you can't do it.

However, you can get almost the same thing by using smbclient. With
smbclient, you can connect to and samba or windows share with an ftp-like
interface, and download/upload whatever you wish (assuming you have
permissions to do so on the share). Example:

smbclient //foo.com/bar

Note: you can't use this to connect to the computer (as in "//foo.com/"),
only to the shares themselves. To get a list of shares available on a
host, use "smbclient -L".

Cheers!
-robin

P.S. smbclient is not installed on dante, but you can install it on becker
without permission problems.

" R o b i n " R . B a t t e y
PGP Key -- http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/zanfur/pgpkey.pub
25B1 1CA6 590D 655C 2F91 73F8 1099 BFE6 09A0 0BD6