samba Q

Steve Cramer cramers at u.washington.edu
Mon Jul 23 23:51:25 PDT 2001

In /etc I have two smb.conf, an old one smb.conf and a new one smb.conf.rpmnew

If I grep smb.conf for log I get /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
which does not exist

If I grep smb.conf.rpmnew for log I get /var/log/samba/log.%m
which does not exist
however, if I ls -t in /var/log/samba I see that log.smb is most
recent file, recreated at the time I rebooted. When I type
more log.smb
I get

[2001/07/23 17:03:37, 1] smbd/server.c:main(641)
smbd version 2.0.7 started.
Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1992-1998

which provides me (personally) with no insight as to the nature of
the Win98 box's interaction with this Linux box.

Note that when I type ps ax | grep smbd
I get
12592 pts/0 S 0:00 grep smbd

Does any of this help? Many thanks,