samba Q

Mike mike at boobaz.net
Tue Jul 24 00:10:44 PDT 2001

Looks to me like your Samba server is currently not running, which is a
problem. You ought to see 'smbd' and likely 'nmbd' running:
# ps ax | grep mbd
499 ? S 0:00 smbd -D
504 ? S 0:00 nmbd -D

Try running it on the command line, as root, (just 'smbd') and see if it
spits out an error or something.

---------------------------
-=<(| mike at boobaz.net |)>=-

On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 at 23:51, Steve Cramer wrote:

|In /etc I have two smb.conf, an old one smb.conf and a new one smb.conf.rpmnew

|If I grep smb.conf for log I get /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

| which does not exist

|If I grep smb.conf.rpmnew for log I get /var/log/samba/log.%m

| which does not exist

|however, if I ls -t in /var/log/samba I see that log.smb is most

|recent file, recreated at the time I rebooted. When I type

| more log.smb

|I get

|[2001/07/23 17:03:37, 1] smbd/server.c:main(641)

| smbd version 2.0.7 started.

| Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1992-1998

|which provides me (personally) with no insight as to the nature of

|the Win98 box's interaction with this Linux box.

|Note that when I type ps ax | grep smbd

| I get

|12592 pts/0 S 0:00 grep smbd

|Does any of this help? Many thanks,

|Steve

|>Look in your 'smb.conf' file to see where Samba logs are kept. Look in

|>the log for hints as to why the Windows computer can't connect. Show us

|>those logs so we can know more about your trouble. Also, make sure smbd

|>is running (`ps ax | grep smbd`)..

|>---------------------------

|>-=<(| mike at boobaz.net |)>=-

|>On Mon, 23 Jul 2001 at 21:30, Steve Cramer wrote:

|>|I recently recompiled my kernel on RH6.2

|>|

|>|Now my Win98 box can't map linux box using Network Mapping.

|>|

|>|Any suggestions as to fix? A demon to blame?

|>|

|>|Thanks,

|>|

|>|Steve