samba Q

Jeff Silverman jeffs at kant.ee.washington.edu
Tue Jul 24 10:04:41 PDT 2001

Steve Cramer wrote:

> Tried it. when I type smbd as root, the response is

> bash: smbd: command not found

> --Steve

> >Looks to me like your Samba server is currently not running, which is a

> >problem. You ought to see 'smbd' and likely 'nmbd' running:

> > # ps ax | grep mbd

> > 499 ? S 0:00 smbd -D

> > 504 ? S 0:00 nmbd -D

> >Try running it on the command line, as root, (just 'smbd') and see if it

> >spits out an error or something.

No offense to Steve, because this is a common problem. Furthermore,
this is a university, an institution of learning, and Steve is obviously
learning something, so that is good. And finally, most of us became
sysadmins through a process of osmosis.

Having said that.... Steve is having some very basic troubles with
UNIX. Any UNIX sysadmin ought to have at least a passing familiarity
with the ps command in all of its confusing and arcane glory. I am
concerned that in the process of learning how to be a sysadmin, he may
be exposing his customers to some real security risks. Some of those
risks I can imagine just from this discussion; and some of those risks
I'll bet are unimginable. We don't know how many customers Steve has.
It may be that he is his only customer, in which case this is not a big
deal. On the other hand, Steve might be a student who was drafted or
volunteered to be sysadmin for a group of people, without any real
understanding of what the job entailed. I don't really care much Steve
in particular-he just illustrates the broader problem.

So I am struggling with the broader philosophical question of how do we
teach our people how to be sysadmins in a caring and respectful way
without exposing their customers to risk?

The problem is that it ain't your thesis advisors internet anymore.
There was a time when the security faults in the rsh protocol were
acceptable, because the cheapest entry to the internet was a hundred
thousand dollar PDP-11 and they wouldn't just anybody access a PDP-11.
But nowadays, when you can get an internet ready computer for $30.00,
any teenaged punk kid can get on the internet and do mischief (and lest
you think I'm prejudiced against teenaged punk kids, I want to point out
that I was one, once; I've fathered two; I've hired several). It used
to be that you saved your thesis on several floppy disks, because it
took several floppy disks to hold it. My point is that the bar has been
raised several centimeters. How do we help UW sysadmins clear the bar?

The only answer, of course, is training. The question then is, given
the very real cost constraints the university operates under, how do we
provide that training most effectively? I myself have instituted a
program of hiring high school students as interns. Sasha Howard is a
brilliant example of how this program might work. Is it cost
effective? I don't know. Is it quality training? I don't know that
either.

The UW, along with everybody else on the internet, is under attack.
Clearly, we have figure out how to organize. I'd like to see some
discussion on how we can do that better.

Jeff

--
Jeff Silverman, sysadmin for the Research Computing Systems (RCS)
University of Washington, School of Engineering, Electrical Engineering