samba Q

Andrew Poliakov poliakov at u.washington.edu
Tue Jul 24 11:14:19 PDT 2001

Steve,

I run samba on a RH 6.2, and did not have any problems.

Steve Cramer wrote:

> In /etc I have two smb.conf, an old one smb.conf and a new one

> smb.conf.rpmnew

> If I grep smb.conf for log I get /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

> which does not exist

> If I grep smb.conf.rpmnew for log I get /var/log/samba/log.%m

> which does not exist

On redhat, it probably would be configured to use a separate log file
for each connecting machine by default. e.g. log.pollex.

> however, if I ls -t in /var/log/samba I see that log.smb is most

> recent file, recreated at the time I rebooted. When I type

> more log.smb

> I get

> [2001/07/23 17:03:37, 1] smbd/server.c:main(641)

> smbd version 2.0.7 started.

> Copyright Andrew Tridgell 1992-1998

2.0.7 is pretty old, there were a couple of security updates since then.

> which provides me (personally) with no insight as to the nature of

> the Win98 box's interaction with this Linux box.

> Note that when I type ps ax | grep smbd

> I get

> 12592 pts/0 S 0:00 grep smbd

I don't know if you prefer to configure your samba server by hand, or
using swat, (which should come with redhat). Swat may show the status
of samba, (just access this URL: your.redhat.box:901)

Andrew.