Getting started with Samba

Jeff Silverman jeffs at kant.ee.washington.edu
Fri Mar 16 14:16:20 PST 2001

Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> Okay, I am *not* a network administrator. I am however completely satisfied with

> Linux as a desktop platform, and I find that I am using windows hardly at all

> now.

> Problem is that everyone else is using windows, and they set up an office NT

> server. So if I want to be able to access the shared data and stuff, I have to

> be able to use the windows network.

It is not the case that everyone is using windows, but rather, Microsoft wants you
to think that everybody is using windows (except when they are in Federal court).

> Sounds like a job for Samba, right? Well, maybe I'm lazy or maybe I know too

> little about windows networks (and not enough about linux yet!), but where do I

> get started? Is it easy to set up just a client and start browsing their files

> and using their printers? Anyone had a good experience with Samba?

Yes, I used Samba at a previous job, I use it in the EE department, and I use it at
home. It can be a little daunting.

> Also, if you can use a linux box as an NT Server through samba, maybe we can

> have all those web pages and scripts on our development servers available

> through the windows network to the windows boxes - rather than forcing them to

> use SSH to edit the files directly or FTP to move files back and forth. Is it

> as easy/easier/not much more difficult to get a samba server set up, or just to

> share files on the windows network with a linux box?

> I got the "Using Samba" book, but it is much more detail than I think I need.

Well, the problem is that you really don't know a priori what you will need. There
are many, many options. Microsoft deals with the problem on an issue by issue
basis with lots of dialog boxes. UNIX makes you deal with the problem all at once
in a text single file.

--
Jeff Silverman, sysadmin for the Research Computing Systems (RCS)
University of Washington, School of Engineering, Electrical Engineering Dept.