Installing Windows after Linux

michael philetus weller philetus at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 29 10:28:04 PST 2001

I installed windows 98 over slackware. Slackware was installed on hdb
(the second physical hard drive), but the system booted from hda. I then
installed windows 98 on hda (c: according to windows), which overwrote the
lilo boot loader on the master boot sector of hda. But all I had to do to
fix that was boot from a lilo boot disk and then run lilo as root (after
configuring lilo.conf for a linux/windows dual boot) to reinstall the lilo
boot loader.

So the moral is I think you should be ok installing windows 98 after
linux as long as you are careful not to mess up any linux partitions and
make a boot disk first.

mike