Memory Carnivore

J. Kyllo jkyllo+lug at echospiral.com
Thu Mar 29 13:17:59 PST 2001

Well, one possibility is that there's a lot of stuff being
cached/buffered. I have an epplet for enlightenment telling me that I'm
using 95M of ram while top says I'm using 124M of my 128M. Top also shows
35M shared and 3M buffered so that's probably it. A lot of times you'll
got tons of stuff cached or buffered by the kernel in case that data can
be used instead of loading it from the harddisk. Hope this fragment
helps...

-Jeff