email - delivery retry timeouts

R. David Whitlock ryandav at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 29 14:36:40 PST 2001

I'm not sure about the timeouts on the mailers, because I'm assuming that
there's not really any set standard, but you might have one problem
already: If you haven't already turned down the TTL for your zonefile to
some more frequent value, you may not have time to propogate a new MX
record before the power cuts out...

Of course, you could start with one broad assumption that might help:
the most important mailer that needs to know the change is the UW's, so if
you make a change and then nicely ask the kind netops folk to manually do
a zone transfer, the UW's nameservers and thus mailers will have the
correct info asap.

-D

"What you hear isn't necessarily what was said,
what you read isn't necessarily what was written."
-Dostoevsky