email - delivery retry timeouts

Aaron aaron at darklands.org
Thu Mar 29 17:24:04 PST 2001

After Network Operations stops laughing ;), you can turn your browser
to RFC 1123, which specifies the MUSTs and SHOULDs for sending
electronic mail:

--
In a typical system, the program that composes a message has some
method for requesting immediate attention for a new piece of outgoing

The sender MUST delay retrying a particular destination after one
attempt has failed. In general, the retry interval SHOULD be at least
30 minutes; however, more sophisticated and variable strategies will
be beneficial when the sender-SMTP can determine the reason for non-
delivery.

Retries continue until the message is transmitted or the sender gives
up; the give-up time generally needs to be at least 4-5 days. The
parameters to the retry algorithm MUST be configurable.

A sender SHOULD keep a list of hosts it cannot reach and corresponding
timeouts, rather than just retrying queued mail items.
--

I think you'll be okay without power for 8 hours. If you don't feel
comfortable with that, the ttl for the boobaz.net zone is one hour, so

Aaron