[linux] Problem with big big hard drive

Ryan Phillips bitman at u.washington.edu
Mon May 26 12:42:06 PDT 2003

I'd just like to iron out a bit of the hard drive terminology used here.
UDMA is not all that new, it was introduced as part of the ATA/ATAPI-4
standard in 1998 to replace regular DMA, which nobody had really used
since its creation in 1996. Since it ran at an astounding 33Mhz (twice
what DMA or PIO modes could pull), the marketing term Ultra ATA/33 was
coined for such drives. What is probably newer than your motherboard is
the 133Mhz speed which was introduced some time after 2000.

EIDE is a term that means many different things at once, and so really
it means nothing at all. Western Digital coined it in 1994 and redefined
it repeatedly to include whatever new technology they had to offer. Even
UDMA was globbed into the term eventually.

The term IDE is even more generic yet, refering to any of the various
ATA standards, with the notable exception of the new Serial ATA interface.

My source for all this information is the Hard Drive Reference Guide.
Hard drives have a fascinating history, so take a look:

http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/index.html

More about UDMA:
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/modesUDMA.html

More about EIDE:
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/unstdEIDE.html

Huge list of hard disk size barriers as old as the 528MB limit:
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/bios/size.html