[linux] Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO) is evil

Scholz Matthew scholzmb at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 14:39:31 PDT 2003

Hey everybody,

I have a stupid/simple situation that I can't figure
out how to solve. I'm working on setting up a dual
boot system with win98SE and Linux. Everything was
fine until someone (not me) installed a hard drive and
used the maxtor sotware that came with it to install
Maxtor's DDO utility on it. Among other things this
overwrote the mbr. So, being the resourceful fellow I
am, I booted from the redhat disk, reran lilo, and all
was well... sort of.

I'd like to just wipe the disk and start over, since
there's no data on it, but I'm not sure how to deal
with the disk. It looks like the DDO in this case
wrote stuff to the mbr portion of the disk, which I
don't know how to deal with for a non-bootable drive.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt