[linux] Dynamic Drive Overlay (DDO) is evil

Ethan Merritt merritt at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 4 16:20:48 PDT 2003

On Thursday 04 September 2003 17:27, Lawrence Lin wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Sep 2003, Scholz Matthew wrote:

> > since I ran lilo again (right?)... so, can I fdisk

> > /MBR and do anything to the secondary slave drive?

> A workaround is to connect the HD back as the master, do the fdisk, then

> swap back.

Lilo can a MBR write to a secondary slave drive quite happily.
I had to do this recently when my primary drive was dying and
I wanted to make the secondary drive bootable and move it
down to the 1st slot. The first few lines of a lilo.conf file
to do this:

# file: /boot/lilo.disk2.conf
# Prepare to move 2nd disk to 1st slot instead
#
disk=/dev/hdb bios=0x80 # Tell LILO to treat the 2nds disk as if it were the first
boot=/dev/hdb # Install LILO on what is currently the 2nd disk
#

Ethan A Merritt merritt at u.washington.edu
Biomolecular Structure Center Box 357742
University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195