[linux] bash vs command line

Russell Power rjpower at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 5 07:48:10 PDT 2003

Subshells can't affect the environment of parent shells (oh... I suppose
they *could*, but I haven't seen it done).

If your script looks like:

#!/bin/bash
export VAR=50
/usr/local/bin/my_program

Then my_program will have VAR=50 in it's environment, however when the
script finishes executing and you get back to your original shell, VAR will
either not exist, or have it's previous value. So as long as you execute
your program within the script, you'll be fine.

Hope that makes some amount of sense...

--russell