[linux] gentoo is kicking my butt

M. Hornung mike at boobaz.net
Fri Sep 12 11:05:29 PDT 2003

I really want to use portage, but it's not playing nice. I'm trying to
install the 'lprng' package and there's an error while compiling. I can
go hack the code so it will compile, but I don't know how to tell emerge
to restart where it left off. Using '--resume' unpacks the source again
and thus the compile fails again. Argh! So how can I finish installing
the package after fixing the code?

% emerge lprng
. . .
make: *** [src] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-print/lprng-3.8.21 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 46, Exitcode 2
!!! printer on fire!

<I go and hack the C code>

% emerge --resume
*** Resuming merge...

>>> emerge (1 of 1) net-print/lprng-3.8.21 to /

>>> md5 src_uri ;-) LPRng-3.8.21.tgz

>>> Unpacking source...

>>> Unpacking LPRng-3.8.21.tgz to /var/tmp/portage/lprng-3.8.21/work

. . .

-Mike