[linux] Looking for help with SRPM

Jesse Keating hosting at j2solutions.net
Mon Sep 15 12:23:42 PDT 2003

On Monday 15 September 2003 12:15, Dennis Burges wrote:

> Hi,

> I want to modify an RPM, so I have downloaded the SRPM only to

> realize I have no clue what to do with it. I was surprised that the

> SRPM is a binary file- so how is that 'source'? I looked for

> information at www.rpm.org and the Red Hat docs but found nothing on

> working with SRPM's.

> Does anyone have experience with this?

You install the srpm. rpm -ivh foo.src.rpm. This by default places
some files in a tree in /usr/src/redhat/

The "spec" file goes in SPECS/ this is basically the build script. The
sources and patches go in SOURCES/. If you modify the source, be sure
to retar it up, since the first step of most rpms is to untar the
source. Consult with MaximumRPM (linked from rpm.org) on what to do w/
.spec files.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net