[linux] Connecting to Dante's FTP server

Andrew Sengul aesengul at u.washington.edu
Fri Sep 19 09:55:15 PDT 2003

Dejan Nikic wrote:

>Ok I'm home now and here is how i got gftp to work:

>-first compile/install the latest version gftp 2.0.15

>-go under FTP > Options go under SSH and check "Need SSH User/Pass" and

>"Use SSH2 SFTP subsys"

>-also get ssh-askpass and install it i'm using some gnome version of it

>that looks pretty cool

>Tell me if it works.

Ok, installed the latest gftp and the askpass utility, but now it seems
that gftp is choking on the messages issued from Dante's side. Each
time I attempt to log in, I get alternating error messages as seen below:

Opening SSH connection to dante.u.washington.edu
Running program ssh -e none -l aesengul -p 22 dante.u.washington.edu -s sftp
3: Protocol Initialization
There was an error initializing a SSH connection with the remote server.
The error message from the remote server follows:
Warning: Permanently added the DSA host key for IP address
'140.142.15.68' to the list of known hosts.
Disconnecting from site dante.u.washington.edu
Opening SSH connection to dante.u.washington.edu
Running program ssh -e none -l aesengul -p 22 dante.u.washington.edu -s sftp
3: Protocol Initialization
There was an error initializing a SSH connection with the remote server.
The error message from the remote server follows:
Fontconfig warning: line 245: Disconnecting from site dante.u.washington.edu
Opening SSH connection to dante.u.washington.edu
Running program ssh -e none -l aesengul -p 22 dante.u.washington.edu -s sftp
3: Protocol Initialization
There was an error initializing a SSH connection with the remote server.
The error message from the remote server follows:
Warning: Permanently added the DSA host key for IP address
'140.142.15.4' to the list of known hosts.
Disconnecting from site dante.u.washington.edu
Opening SSH connection to dante.u.washington.edu
Running program ssh -e none -l aesengul -p 22 dante.u.washington.edu -s sftp
3: Protocol Initialization
There was an error initializing a SSH connection with the remote server.
The error message from the remote server follows:
Fontconfig warning: line 245: Disconnecting from site dante.u.washington.edu

Amusingly, the error messages pop up at the same time that the askpass
dialog box does. They alternate between the DSA host key error and the
fontconfig warning. I can only guess that ssh doesn't like the changing
IP addresses used by Dante, and the fontconfig problem seems like
something related to the ascii/binary choice, but I've tried both
options with the same result. Well, that's the state of things at the
moment. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Andrew