[linux] Connecting to Dante's FTP server

Joshua Daniel Franklin joshuadfranklin at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 19 10:44:50 PDT 2003

--- Doug McLean <dougmc at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> THe SSH1 protocol (the default on Homer/Dante), uses the AIX-specific

> version of SSH, and the SSH2 protocol is run off of ssh.com's

> implementation (which isn't too shabby).

Hmm...

[10:35:49]joshuadf$ telnet dante.u.washington.edu 22
Trying...
Connected to dante.u.washington.edu.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-1.99-3.1.2 SSH Secure Shell (non-commercial)

Looks like SSH.com's free SSH1 server to me (though it might be
lying). I've noticed when I scp from an OpenSSH client it says:

[joshua at www joshua]$ scp foo.txt joshuadf at dante.u.washington.edu:
joshuadf at dante.u.washington.edu's password:
scp: warning: Executing scp1 compatibility.

By the way, have you tried using the ~/.ssh/config file or the user at host
syntax to set your username and pubkey auth?