[linux] Connecting to Dante's FTP server

Andrew Sengul aesengul at u.washington.edu
Sat Sep 20 17:34:14 PDT 2003

Evan Martin wrote:

>On Fri, Sep 19, 2003 at 06:32:52PM -0700, Andrew Sengul wrote:

>>Ok, I changed the settings for ssh and got that error message out of the

>>way... but the fontconfig errors are still appearing. Here are some

>>lines from gftp's console output that may be helpful:

>>Fontconfig warning: line 245: invalid edit binding "same"

>>Fontconfig warning: line 257: invalid edit binding "same"

>>It appears that the problem is with the ssh-askpass utility, which

>>causes the same errors to appear when I run it by itself. And I already

>>have the latest version installed... I've looked at the fontconfig man

>>pages, but it's a very low-level utility with little help available, and

>>I don't think it would be a good idea for me to try tinkering with it.

>Hm. Have you ever messed with fontconfig yourself? (The main file is

>/etc/fonts/fonts.conf, I think, but there is also config in ~/.fonts or

>~/.fontconfig or something like that.)

>It sounds like the fontconfig configuration file is messed up in some way,

>and if it isn't your doing the simplest solution would be to rm all its

>config files and reinstall it.

>I don't have a copy of ssh-askpass handy or I'd analyze it for you.

Well, I don't know what was wrong with my askpass utility, but I just
solved the problem. I looked over the dselect directory (I use Debian)
and found that I had ssh-askpass-gnome rather than the normal
ssh-askpass, and after installing the regular X version, the fontconfig
problem was no more. Now I can log into Dante with no problems.