[linux] Re: RedHat and The Future of Linux...

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Tue Sep 23 17:26:21 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 04:56:02PM -0700, Doug McLean wrote:

> I think this Tom Callaway fellow from RedHat is a little rude, or at

> least, he seems to think that Linux users are all blood-sucking

> vampires.

Aww, I wouldn't go that far. I actually sorta know Tom; he makes RH
packages for some of my software, and is generally helpful, patient, and
intelligent in all of my interactions with him.

As for Fedora, well... though I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that Tom
is speaking for RH overall, his general point seems pretty obvious.

> I can certainly understand the rationale of needing to make money, but

> I get the impression that the Fedora thing is just a way of keeping

> the Linux diehards quiet.

> RedHat may one day dominate the market the way MS does now, but how many

> people does it have screw over in the name of profit (just like MS did...)?

RedHat funds a whole lot of Linux development way beyond their own
products. Look at the developers of GTK, or GNOME, or tons of kernel
hackers, and you'll see many of them have @redhat.com email addresses.

I neither like nor use RH, but I'm pretty sure they're the good guys.

The fact that they need to make money is no surprise to me, and if they
need to change their business model to suit that, it's pretty acceptable
as well. Even if they went to an exclusively-enterprise business model,
we lose nothing and I still get a lot of good from their company through
the free software they create.

> In any case, I for one am starting to think BSD is looking pretty good

> (if only I can get the darn thing to work with any of my video cards on

> any of my systems). I always liked the idea of the BSD license anyhow.

This is an entirely separate issue, but yeah, I don't really understand
why anybody would choose Linux over BSD when they're using a Linux
distro with distribution/policy similar to BSD (like: why Gentoo portage
when you have BSD ports? If anyone could answer that, I really would
appreciate it because I honestly don't know why).

I think I would've switched to BSD ages ago if they were as good as
Debian.

PS: Sorry for the long mail, but I work/worked for an open-source
company that also needed to pay their employees and we also got a lot of
flak for the business side of things; I haven't really followed this
Fedora deal, but from this email I see a lot of similarities between
their position and ours.

--
Evan Martin
martine at danga.com