[linux] Re: RedHat and The Future of Linux...

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Tue Sep 23 19:55:08 PDT 2003

Travis Saling <trav at u.washington.edu> writes:

>> I think this Tom Callaway fellow from RedHat is a little rude, or at

>> least, he seems to think that Linux users are all blood-sucking

>> vampires. I can certainly understand the rationale of needing to

>> make money, but I get the impression that the Fedora thing is just a

>> way of keeping the Linux diehards quiet.

> I've got to disagree...

<edited a bit>

> Mr. Callaway was being more blunt than most people like, but frankly

> he seemed to be telling it like it is.

> Some people want Linux to remain strictly a hobbyist's operating

> system, and that is certainly a valid point of view. But I believe if

> we want Linux to really make inroads against the current hegemony, we

> need businesses like Red Hat to become viable over the long term.

I have to agree with Travis -- if you really value GPL/open source as
a commercial enterprise, there will need to be some reasonably
traditional (non-consulting) businesses based on it.

However, you are always free to make a choice in what you want --
there are plenty of solid, non-commericial distributions (at least
one, which I've been using for over 7 years now), if you want to go
that route. But $$ needs to be made by those folks who want to do it
for a living, either via consulting or by a more traditional business
plan (selling a product).

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Research Assistant Professor

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may be
confidential and privileged. If you received this message in error,
please destroy it and notify the sender. Thank you.