[linux] Re: RedHat and The Future of Linux...

Doug McLean dougmc at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 24 13:36:55 PDT 2003

Hi Evan and others,

A number of people have written back to me on this subject, and there's
a defnite consensus that Mr Callaway is right. A lot of people replied
back to me and make some good arguments about RedHat needing to bring
Linux into the mainstream, and thus needing to adopt a more traditional
business model.

My rant yesterday I think had more to do with the feeling that RH is
turning its back on the ver people who made it big. RedHat wouldn't be
the company it is if people hadn't been using it, and kept using it.
Its a drain on RH (for the record, I DID buy my RH cds...some of them),
but if they hadn't adopted a "free" model in the first place, no one
would have used RH, and it wouldn't be where it is.

So I wish RH would show a little more gratitude to those who gave it
word-of-mouth recognition in the first place. I suppose Fedora is their
way of showing gratitude.

In any case, if they intend to step further into the wider IT market,
then people are right in that they will need to adopt a more traditional
business model and be prepared to make money.

As for other OSs, I haven't had the chance to try Debian. I don't like
burning 6 CDs just to install an OS (even 3 CDs kinda sucks in my
opinion). However, maybe I should try it.... :)

--Doug

--
Doug McLean
Department of Microbiology