[linux] Debian Install: 1 CD

David Fetrow fetrow at apl.washington.edu
Wed Sep 24 14:53:53 PDT 2003

> As for other OSs, I haven't had the chance to try Debian. I don't like

> burning 6 CDs just to install an OS (even 3 CDs kinda sucks in my

> opinion). However, maybe I should try it.... :)

> --Doug

One CD. You can (and probably should to get latest versions) pull the
rest from the net automagically via dselect/apt if you have a fast
connection. One CD installs enough to get the rest.

Or Knoppix, 1 heavily compressed CD Debian live version with rather
more than the basics....or ClusterKnoppix (same deal
with OpenMosix clustering kernel)...or even Quantian
which is simlar but has various stat and math software
built in.

There are three versions of standard Debian around at most times:

stable boring, dated and reliable (currently 3.0 aka woody)
..only security updates.

testing Not cutting edge but generally useable and stable
especially towards the end of the cycle

unstable Adventure with every update!

When "testing" moves to "stable", "unstable" moves to "testing" and
a new "unstable" makes its appearance.