[linux] Debian Install: 1 CD

Doug McLean dougmc at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 24 15:01:14 PDT 2003

Debian's netboot CD installation is all well and good for folks who have
fast Internet connections, but I use good ol' UW dial-up modem and will
have to do so until better paying job opportunities occur (or my
consulting business picks up...not likely).

So for me, its 6 CDs or nothing.

David Fetrow wrote:

>>As for other OSs, I haven't had the chance to try Debian. I don't like

>>burning 6 CDs just to install an OS (even 3 CDs kinda sucks in my

>>opinion). However, maybe I should try it.... :)

>>--Doug

> One CD. You can (and probably should to get latest versions) pull the

> rest from the net automagically via dselect/apt if you have a fast

> connection. One CD installs enough to get the rest.

> Or Knoppix, 1 heavily compressed CD Debian live version with rather

> more than the basics....or ClusterKnoppix (same deal

> with OpenMosix clustering kernel)...or even Quantian

> which is simlar but has various stat and math software

> built in.

> There are three versions of standard Debian around at most times:

> stable boring, dated and reliable (currently 3.0 aka woody)

> ..only security updates.

> testing Not cutting edge but generally useable and stable

> especially towards the end of the cycle

> unstable Adventure with every update!

> When "testing" moves to "stable", "unstable" moves to "testing" and

> a new "unstable" makes its appearance.

Doug McLean
Department of Microbiology
http://faculty.washington.edu/dougmc