[linux] Debian Install: 1 CD

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Wed Sep 24 15:06:52 PDT 2003

David Fetrow <fetrow at apl.washington.edu> writes:

>> As for other OSs, I haven't had the chance to try Debian. I don't like

>> burning 6 CDs just to install an OS (even 3 CDs kinda sucks in my

>> opinion). However, maybe I should try it.... :)

>> --Doug

> One CD. You can (and probably should to get latest versions) pull the

> rest from the net automagically via dselect/apt if you have a fast

> connection. One CD installs enough to get the rest.

> Or Knoppix, 1 heavily compressed CD Debian live version with rather

> more than the basics....or ClusterKnoppix (same deal

> with OpenMosix clustering kernel)...or even Quantian

> which is simlar but has various stat and math software

> built in.

And we run a local Quantian mirror on campus:

http://www.analytics.washington.edu/downloads/quantian

Dirk will be releasing the next version by next week... (of course,
if you aren't into data analysis, it might be less interesting...).

I use it to install Debian these days, it's reasonably fast, then just
uncomment appropriate lines in /etc/apt/sources.list and finish the
install via network.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachments may be
confidential and privileged. If you received this message in error,
please destroy it and notify the sender. Thank you.