[linux] Debian Install: 1 CD

Harry Edmon harry at atmos.washington.edu
Wed Sep 24 15:12:54 PDT 2003

The one problem we have found in Debian testing is very serious - they do NOT
put out security patches for testing. They actively put them in stable, and
they quickly appear in unstable, but you have to wait weeks for the unstable
versions to migrate to testing. This makes testing unusable in today's
environment without manually tacking bugs and hoping that the unstable package
will install in testing.

There are other problems with testing (no Gnome 2.2 for example). However, I do
like Debian, I just wish these problems could be fixed.

Dr. Harry Edmon E-MAIL: harry at atmos.washington.edu
206-543-0547 harry at u.washington.edu
Dept of Atmospheric Sciences FAX: 206-543-0308
University of Washington, Box 351640, Seattle, WA 98195-1640