[linux] Debian Install: 1 CD

Cere M. Davis cere at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 24 15:21:40 PDT 2003

I agree. This problem is really frustrating. If anyone has connections
into the Debian developers "inner circle" I would love for someone to
forward this to whoever and know what their reasoning for not doing this.

-Cere

> There are other problems with testing (no Gnome 2.2 for example). However, I do

> like Debian, I just wish these problems could be fixed.

> David Fetrow <fetrow at apl.washington.edu> wrote:

> > > As for other OSs, I haven't had the chance to try Debian. I don't like

> > > burning 6 CDs just to install an OS (even 3 CDs kinda sucks in my

> > > opinion). However, maybe I should try it.... :)

> > > --Doug

> > One CD. You can (and probably should to get latest versions) pull the

> > rest from the net automagically via dselect/apt if you have a fast

> > connection. One CD installs enough to get the rest.

> > Or Knoppix, 1 heavily compressed CD Debian live version with rather

> > more than the basics....or ClusterKnoppix (same deal

> > with OpenMosix clustering kernel)...or even Quantian

> > which is simlar but has various stat and math software

> > built in.

> > There are three versions of standard Debian around at most times:

> > stable boring, dated and reliable (currently 3.0 aka woody)

> > ..only security updates.

> > testing Not cutting edge but generally useable and stable

> > especially towards the end of the cycle

> > unstable Adventure with every update!

> > When "testing" moves to "stable", "unstable" moves to "testing" and

> > a new "unstable" makes its appearance.

Cere Davis
Unix Systems Administrator - CSDE
cere at u.washington.edu ph: 206.685.5346
https://staff.washington.edu/cere

GnuPG Key http://staff.washington.edu/cere/gpgkey.txt
Key fingerprint = B63C 2361 3B9B 8599 ECC9 D061 3E48 A832 F455 9E7FA