[linux] Debian Install: 1 CD

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Wed Sep 24 18:37:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 03:21:40PM -0700, Cere M. Davis wrote:

> > There are other problems with testing (no Gnome 2.2 for example).

> > However, I do like Debian, I just wish these problems could be

> > fixed.

> I agree. This problem is really frustrating. If anyone has connections

> into the Debian developers "inner circle" I would love for someone to

> forward this to whoever and know what their reasoning for not doing this.

There is a technical reason, but it's sorta lame:
libc6 got a new, slightly incompatibile version in unstable, but there's
some problem with building libc6 on some (likely obscure) architecture,
so it's holding that from entering testing. All new stuff in unstable
depends on that version of libc6, so it's all held back, too.

It's arguable that the libc6 problem shouldn't hold things back, but
it's also true that Debian is (singlehandedly, in some cases) resposible
for ensuring portability. xfree86, for example, is only tested on a few
architectures before releasing, so the Debian xfree86 maintainers are
the ones who collect/test/write the patches to make it build everywhere.

Anyway, there is a gnome backport to testing. (And there's a gnome 2.4
port for unstable.) But in general, Debian is not for using
bleeding-edge software.

--
Evan Martin
martine at danga.com