[linux] Debian Install: 1 CD

Andrew Sengul aesengul at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 24 19:04:33 PDT 2003

Doug McLean wrote:

> Debian's netboot CD installation is all well and good for folks who

> have fast Internet connections, but I use good ol' UW dial-up modem

> and will have to do so until better paying job opportunities occur (or

> my consulting business picks up...not likely).

> So for me, its 6 CDs or nothing.

Well, if you can spare around $15 plus shipping, you can get a set of
Debian CDs from cheapbytes.com. You could also take your computer to an
install-fest, and though I've never been to one, I'd bet that Debian CDs
would be available. One of Debian's major merits is that its packaging
system is much better than Redhat's, and if you are able to eventually
get a high-speed connention, you can seamlessly update your entire
system with apt-get. It would also work with a slower connection so
long as you update frequently to keep the volume of files downloaded
each time small.

Andrew Sengul