[linux] Debian Install: 1 CD

Cere M. Davis cere at u.washington.edu
Wed Sep 24 20:15:18 PDT 2003

Allright. Cool. Thanks. I never added the apt.conf line that you have
so perhaps that will do the trick. I looked into ("googled") pinning a
while back and found it pretty damm confusing but this - if I get it to
work - it pretty doable. I never really got an error when I tried to grab
stuff from a newer repository it just would try to upgrade everything or
nothing at all. So your suggestion makes even more sense in retrospect.

Tanks again ;)

> APT::Default-Release "stable";

> in /etc/apt/apt.conf, add a source for Testing to /etc/apt/sources.list, e,g.

> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main

> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian testing main

> run "apt-get update" and then

> apt-get -t testing install $PACKAGE

> installed $PACKAGE and all it's dependencies from Testing.

> What error do you get when you try it?

> ~Phillip

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Cere M. Davis wrote:

> >It's a great idea but I've never been able to get that to work. Is there

> >some kind of trick to this?

> >On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Phillip Garland wrote:

> >> Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 17:36:05 -0700 (PDT)

> >> From: Phillip Garland <pgarland at u.washington.edu>

> >> To: Linux/Unix Users Group at the UW <linux at u.washington.edu>

> >> Subject: Re: [linux] Debian Install: 1 CD

> >> what about

> >> apt-get -t testing install $PACKAGE

> >> of course you will also be grabbing all of $PACKAGE's dependencies from Testing,

> >> but there's no way around that.

> >> ~Phillip

Cere Davis
Unix Systems Administrator - CSDE
cere at u.washington.edu ph: 206.685.5346
https://staff.washington.edu/cere

GnuPG Key http://staff.washington.edu/cere/gpgkey.txt
Key fingerprint = B63C 2361 3B9B 8599 ECC9 D061 3E48 A832 F455 9E7FA