[linux] System lockouts

Peter Abrahamsen peidran at u.washington.edu
Thu Sep 25 02:17:54 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 08:34:15PM -0700, David Talkington wrote:

> I'd take frequent breaks too, if you had me doing all that work by myself.

> ;)

Bah :-p

It's an Athlon XP 1700+ (1.4GHz), and I only tax it when I do very long
builds. I know, because then the heat alarm goes off :)

> [ snip other stuff that sounds suspiciously like resource starvation ]

No - they look suspicious, but not suspiciously like resource starvation.

The system is, mind, perfectly responsive to any pre-existing user sessions.
I just can't log in. I think apache stops working, too, but I can't
remember. One thing I forgot to mention in the other message is that the
pam.d file for login does /not/ reference LDAP, yet I still cannot log in
locally.

I'm not using LDAP for NSS, only PAM and exim (address rewriting and
aliases), which shouldn't be too much of a load. Thanks for reminding me
about nscd, though. Debian had that on by default, but I somehow missed that
Gentoo doesn't.

So I guess the problem at this point is to ask: what sorts of things could
make PAM (and other things) break, with a PAM configuration as minimal as:

>>> /etc/pam.d/login

auth required /lib/security/pam_securetty.so
auth required /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
auth required /lib/security/pam_unix.so

account required /lib/security/pam_unix.so

password required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

session required /lib/security/pam_unix.so
session optional /lib/security/pam_console.so
<<<

Oh. I guess that would reference LDAP, but only for password changes, which
shouldn't affect login.

Thanks for your response,

Peter

--
Peter Abrahamsen Seattle, Washington, USA
CEP, Phil, iSchool http://www.abrahamsen.com/peter/