[linux] Linux modem problem.

R. Phillips bitman at u.washington.edu
Mon Sep 29 14:03:22 PDT 2003

If you can type ATI1<return> in minicom (before dialing, but probably
after initialization; I'm a bit rusty), and it gives you information about
your modem (or anything at all) then you have selected the right device.
ATI2, ATI3, and so on will give you other info about the modem (baud rate,
manufacturer, etc) which may be useful (probably not).

I think RedHat has a tendency to symlink /dev/modem to whatever device it
thinks the modem is on, so you might want to use that or ls -l it.

That should at least narrow the problem down a bit.

--Ryan Phillips