[linux] Which distro for a parent?

David Talkington dtalk at u.washington.edu
Wed Dec 1 10:09:51 PST 2004

Andrew Becherer wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2004, at 10:31 PM, Ethan Merritt wrote:

>> I wouldn't touch Debian. They seem more interested in making

>> political points than actually accumulating an up-to-date and

>> working collection of software.

> I guess thats why their package repository is the largest of any linux

> distribution, not to mention they have a sane release cycle with levels of

> risk/reward.

>> I've had more than one frustrating

>> exchange with their packaging/license bureaucracy. I'd rather

>> not do it again when there are so many other distros that don't

>> have so much of an axe to grind.

> Better stay away from Gentoo as well, they have one of those Social Contract

> thingies too!

> http://www.debian.org/social_contract

> http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/contract.xml

Heh, heh ... now the _real_ fun begins .... everybody's squaring off ...
couldn't _just_ have a practical discussion with the newbie in mind,
that'd be no fun at all! :)

Of course, I have no need to jump into this childish fray, for I know
that all Linux distros are toys, and that BSD offers a superior
production environment.

[ducks and covers]

- --
David Talkington