[linux] Force mountd to use UDP

Cere M. Davis cere at u.washington.edu
Wed Dec 1 18:03:12 PST 2004

You might want to try just running nfs version 2 as one of you mountd
flags (mountd -V 2). version 2 didn't even have tcp based services as I
recall...

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Michal wrote:

> Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 17:54:22 -0800

> From: Michal <michalg at gmail.com>

> To: Linux/Unix Users Group at the UW <linux at u.washington.edu>

> Subject: [linux] Force mountd to use UDP

> I posted this question to comp.protocol.nfs this morning, but things

> are slow there.. so I'm hoping someone here can chime in with a clue.

> Thanks!

> ---

> My goal is to configure a server to avoid exporting its files over

> TCP. I want to force UDP.

> The server is Fedora Core 1, Linux kernel 2.4.22. On this server,

> "/usr/sbin/rpcinfo -p | grep nfs" reports:

> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs

> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs

> 100003 2 tcp 2049 nfs

> 100003 3 tcp 2049 nfs

> I modified the script /etc/init.d/nfs which starts NFS services such

> that rpc.mountd is started with the "--no-tcp" argument. The

> rpc.mountd documentation says this means "Don't advertise TCP for

> mount." Yet, rpcinfo still reports NFS services for both UDP and TCP.

> Mounting its exports on remote systems causes them to be mounted with

> "proto=tcp".

> There is another NFS server with an older version of Linux (2.4.18)

> running RedHat 7.3. Running "rpcinfo -p | grep nfs" on it reports:

> 100003 2 udp 2049 nfs

> 100003 3 udp 2049 nfs

> Mounting its exports on remote systems causes them to be mounted with

> "proto=udp".

> I don't know what else to try on the FC1 box to force it to stop

> servicing NFS/TCP services.

> Can anyone help?

> -Michal

Cere Davis
Unix Systems Administrator - CSDE
cere at u.washington.edu ph: 206.685.5346
https://staff.washington.edu/cere

GnuPG Key http://staff.washington.edu/cere/gpgkey.txt
Key fingerprint = B63C 2361 3B9B 8599 ECC9 D061 3E48 A832 F455 9E7FA