[linux] Force mountd to use UDP

Michal michalg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 22:06:03 PST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 21:40:49 -0800 (PST), Doug McLean
<dougmc at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Or maybe V4 (which is in the new Fedora) can do it? That's just a guess

> though.

According to nfs.sf.net, v4 is supposedly supported in 2.6 kernels.
Not all machines in this context run the 2.6 kernel. And knowing that
v4 is a pretty recent implementation, I'll refrain from commiting to
it in a production environment :)

files > 2GB, which is actually a Big Deal, among other reasons why
that wouldn't be a good idea. Anyways, v2 works over TCP.

I'm just surprised that one machine can offer NFS v3 over UDP, while
another can offer NFS v3 over UDP and TCP, and there's no clear reason
why this is.

Of course it may be the version of the kernel and/or nfs-utils, but if
that's true, and there is no way to configure mountd to not use tcp
(the --no-tcp flag appears to be a placebo), then I guess it's just
another reason to dislike NFS... :)

-Michal