[linux] Japanese input for FireFox on Fedora

dougmc at u.washington.edu dougmc at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 9 08:37:17 PST 2004

Hi guys,

I am kind of going out on a limb here, but I hope someone might have an answer, or a good reference to look at.

My wife's Japanese, and so far she really likes Fedora Core 3 (especially because she can play KMahjongg). I got Firefox to correctly read Japanese web pages, but she wants to be able to email her friends in Japan without having to boot to Windows and run IE (yuck). I have been doing some research, and I get contradictory advice as far as what to do. I have installed Canna and kinput2 and I can't seem to get that to work. I open FireFox, go to a site like yahoo.co.jp, and it only inputs English characters, not Japanese. I also tried looking at something called iiimf (sic?) too, but can't figure out how to get that working.

I have heard Core 3 is having issues with that that Core 2 didn't, so that may explain part of it. But I want to know what is the correct method for allowing FireFox (or things like OpenOffice) to input Japanese in the same way that Internet Explorer and Office Xp can using MS's Global IME.

I would like to avoid using another distro since we spent all this work getting Fedora just so, but if someone can recommend a well-respected distro that:

a) has KMahjongg
b) can (for sure) do Japanese input

I will consider it.

Thanks!