[linux] Japanese input for FireFox on Fedora

Aaron Grewell AGrewell at uwb.edu
Thu Dec 9 08:55:39 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-12-09 at 08:37 -0800, dougmc at u.washington.edu wrote:

> Hi guys,

> I am kind of going out on a limb here, but I hope someone might have an

answer, or a good reference to look at.

> My wife's Japanese, and so far she really likes Fedora Core 3 (especially

because she can play KMahjongg). I got Firefox to correctly read Japanese
web pages, but she wants to be able to email her friends in Japan without
having to boot to Windows and run IE (yuck). I have been doing some
research, and I get contradictory advice as far as what to do. I have
installed Canna and kinput2 and I can't seem to get that to work. I open
FireFox, go to a site like yahoo.co.jp, and it only inputs English
characters, not Japanese. I also tried looking at something called iiimf
(sic?) too, but can't figure out how to get that working.

> I have heard Core 3 is having issues with that that Core 2 didn't, so that

may explain part of it. But I want to know what is the correct method for
allowing FireFox (or things like OpenOffice) to input Japanese in the same
way that Internet Explorer and Office Xp can using MS's Global IME.

> I would like to avoid using another distro since we spent all this work

getting Fedora just so, but if someone can recommend a well-respected distro
that:

> a) has KMahjongg

> b) can (for sure) do Japanese input

> I will consider it.

You may want to have a look at TurboLinux. It's supposed to have really
good Asian language support. Even if you don't use it on an ongoing
basis, taking a look at how their language support stuff works may give
some clues.