[linux] Japanese input for FireFox on Fedora

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 9 11:32:50 PST 2004

Doug,
I've had a lot of issues actually getting Japanese to work on Linux.
Redhat was the closest that I ever got to running Japanese without screwing
up my locales and making a lot of programs print out stuff in Mincho instead
of their regular locale fonts.
Here's what I suggest...
If you run KDE, try kinput2. It's by far the simplest program to setup.
There are some directions for doing this at
http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/jpninpt.html, and that is by far the
most consumate document I've come across. For simple setups go to:
http://katzbrown.com/shiritsu/unix%20help/japanese%20on%20kde/; I'm not sure
if this would work properly for FC3, but it worked for RH9 for me.
I've also heard people swear by xim too for input, so if you're willing
to try that out it's worth it too. I just haven't tried it so I can't be
sure whether it works well or not. The gentoo forums
(http://forums.gentoo.org/) along with the first page I listed have
directions on how to set it up properly, although it will be different cause
Fedora has RPMs and gentoo has emerges =\... They do take non-gentoo
questions on occasion though, so I asked one for you:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=1860513#1860513.
Also, note that kinput2 uses shift space instead of alt-space to start
the input editor unlike Windows based IME.
-Garrett