[linux] Japanese input for FireFox on Fedora

Jeremy Cheng hkdb at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 9 12:44:15 PST 2004

It's been a while since I used any FCs for my own workstation and being
that the only contact I have with FC3 now-a-days is setting up new
employees' boxes if they didn't really have a specific preference to
what distro to run. My work has poor diversity and lack of language
talents...hehe so I haven't had to deal with the scim/FC combination for
a while.

In any case, I remember it being very painless and scim was default once
you chose to install chinese language/input support through anaconda.
Otherwise, I think you can yum for it so to directly answer your
question, yes, I think I did get it directly from the fedora mirrors.

To understand scim more, you can visit
http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/scim

gl,

-J
--------------------------------------
Jeremy Yu Hin Cheng

Undergraduate: Informatics, Economics
University of Washington
http://www.ischool.washington.edu
http://www.econ.washington.edu

**************************************
Director of Information Technology
Chinese Business & Culture Association
http://students.washington.edu/cbca
**************************************
http://students.washington.edu/hkdb
hkdb at u.washington.edu
425-891-4169
--------------------------------------

dougmc at u.washington.edu wrote:

> Personally, I think FC3 made some big improvements over 2 (My wife and I

> have used both), but it has broken other things in the process. I still

> like it better than FC2 though.

> Anyhow, so this scim program does it work similarly to MS's Global IME,

> or is it something completely different? Did you get scim from Fedora's

> download sites or somewhere else?

> Doug McLean

> CSS Systems Administrator

> University of Washington, Bothell

> http://staff.washington.edu/dougmc/pgp.html

> Meanwhile, in Gotham, Jeremy Cheng wrote:

>> I haven't really looked at FC3 yet and being that a lot of things seem

>> to be broken for me at work, it's not making me too confident in

>> saying what I am about to suggest will work for sure. I have done it

>> in FC2 though.

>> Anyways, enough bab... have you tried scim? In fact, it was

>> originally a turbo linux project and it worked like wonders in FC2. I

>> was able to type Chinese, Japanese and Korean with it in firefox and

>> pretty much all applications I used.

>> gl,

>> -J

>> --------------------------------------

>> Jeremy Yu Hin Cheng

>> Undergraduate: Informatics, Economics

>> University of Washington

>> **************************************

>> Director of Information Technology

>> Chinese Business & Culture Association

>> http://students.washington.edu/cbca

>> **************************************

>> hkdb at u.washington.edu

>> 425-891-4169

>> --------------------------------------

>> Aaron Grewell wrote:

>>> answer, or a good reference to look at.

>>> because she can play KMahjongg). I got Firefox to correctly read

>>> Japanese

>>> web pages, but she wants to be able to email her friends in Japan

>>> without

>>> having to boot to Windows and run IE (yuck). I have been doing some

>>> research, and I get contradictory advice as far as what to do. I have

>>> installed Canna and kinput2 and I can't seem to get that to work. I

>>> open

>>> FireFox, go to a site like yahoo.co.jp, and it only inputs English

>>> characters, not Japanese. I also tried looking at something called

>>> iiimf

>>> (sic?) too, but can't figure out how to get that working.

>>> may explain part of it. But I want to know what is the correct

>>> method for

>>> allowing FireFox (or things like OpenOffice) to input Japanese in the

>>> same

>>> way that Internet Explorer and Office Xp can using MS's Global IME.

>>> getting Fedora just so, but if someone can recommend a well-respected

>>> distro

>>> that: