[linux] Japanese on Linux solved

Doug McLean dougmc at u.washington.edu
Thu Dec 9 20:30:17 PST 2004

Hi all,

I figured out what to do to fix it. I was really close to getting it to
work (as I realized tonight), but missed the last step:

1. Install and make sure Canna server is running
2. Install the iiimf server (called 'htt') and make sure it is running
3. In KDE, for the given account, set the default language to Japanese

I don't have to run kinput2 or anything else. On a text prompt, if I
push shift and space bar, the japanese comes up like it should. The
interface is very much like kinput2 is supposed to behave.

I heard that Fedora had taken steps in Core 3 to shore up International
support, and iiimf had something do to with this. I guess that's what
they did. :p

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Doug