[linux] RH & FC2 compatability with DVD+-dual layer?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Fri Dec 10 23:45:36 PST 2004

I asked the question on the Gentoo forums here since I couldn't find
anything conclusive on Google:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=264874. There should be a reply by
Wednesday date at the latest.
Also, look at the documentation for the kernel
here-http://en.tldp.org/links/hw.html-or
here-http://kernel.org/pub/linux/docs/lkml/. Odds are more than likely that
the burner is supported (well depending on the release date of the original
burner and if it has any predecessors that use the same chipset), but odds
are more than likely that the kernel will have to be recompiled with the
relevant modules enabled at boot time.
After that you should be able to use k3b, xcdroast, or dvdrecord to burn
dvds using the drive.
Yes, compatibility should be the same for external drives, excluding
that you would have to possibly modify your setup based on whether or not
you're using USB, firewire, etc.
-Garrett